Re: Re: The ease of notes on a smaller mouthpiec

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Preece on September 30, 2003 at 03:05:45:

In Reply to: Re: The ease of notes on a smaller mouthpiec posted by Ralph on September 29, 2003 at 22:43:11:

I tend to think in a different mind-set. I believe that one should go with the notion that there are NO bad notes on an instrument - only unfamiliar ones. Rather than trying to figure out what is wrong with the instrument, I would focus on tuning with your ears. Please understand this is not meant to be condisending in any way. Really practice tuning with your ears, and train yourself to play in tune. Do this with out the tuner in your face (staring at a tuner does not really give you a clear audio picture of how to play in tune when in you are in a real life situation). Really listen. A fantastic tool is to play long tones of any note against a recorded drone of another. I have a drone CD, and it is really excellent. I do not move my tuning slide anymore. I just listen and focus. If you are unable to have such a resource, may I suggest playing long tones while a friend holds a drone note. I might also be able to help you with attaining excercises on tuning against a drone if you are interested. You are somewhat at a disadvantage due to only having 3 valves, but that cannot - and must not be the excuse. Hope I have been of some help.

Follow Ups: