Re: Pro-Quality 4/4 - 5/4 BBb's??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 01, 2003 at 10:25:20:

In Reply to: Pro-Quality 4/4 - 5/4 BBb's?? posted by Potential Buyer on September 30, 2003 at 10:50:22:

I'm always compelled to reply, heh, heh.

The Miraphone 1291 would have to be quite high on the list of possibilities. And if you have real money to spend, consider the Willson 3100. Lee Stofer was installing a fifth valve on a King last January, so that modification is not impossible and a King with an add-on fifth valve is probably not more expensive than a Miraphone. The quality of Kings may not be that good on average, but you can still find those that are put together nicely.

But the King is on the small side of 4/4, and not really in the category of 4/4-5/4, in my view.

Another option is to look for a really special used instrument. One that is often overlooked is a B&M Symphonic BBb. They are not common, but they are well priced when they do appear, and they are awfully hard to beat in that size category. Baltimore Brass had one for sale some months ago that was a great horn. You have to seek them out, though.

Still another option is a Gronitz PBM. We have seen no reviews of these instruments, but the comments I've heard about the PCM (and the PCK, which borders on 6/4) uniformly glow in the dark.

Still another option is a VMI 3303, which comes in five valves as well.

And if you look beyond piston tubas in the American style, there are the Rudy Meinls and the Meinl-Weston Fafner, not to mention the Alexander.

There are lots of good choices for new piston BBb tubas out there, even those with five valves. But they are nearly as expensive as equivalent CC tubas.

Rick "who sees no shortage of fine BBb tubas" Denney

Follow Ups: