Re: Circular Breathing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ted Cox on April 04, 1999 at 18:06:40:

In Reply to: Circular Breathing posted by Santos on April 04, 1999 at 12:24:36:

Santos, I see no one has been brave enough to answer this one yet so here it is. I do circular breathe and am very glad I can. It comes in handy from time to time. First, you must be able to play with your cheeks puffed out without changing your sound. Second, away from the horn, learn to blow air stored in your cheeks and breathe through your nose at the same time. This is pretty easy once you figure out the coordination. You might find it useful to practice this move by squeezing the air stored in your cheeks through a straw into a glass of water while you inhale through your nose. Once you have mastered this, it's only a matter of time before you are able to get it to work on your instrument. Start with an easy note like second line Bb and then work in both directions. Of course the lower notes are more challenging since they do require more air. When I was learning to do this, I use to play the first movement of the Galliard Sonata No.5. The range is good and the tempo is too. Use this as another tool in your box of tools you already have. It's by no means a substitue for a proper, full breath. I find myself using circular breathing more in orchestra than quintet and more in quintet than solos. It may take some time, but keep at it. If I can do it, anyone can.
Ted Cox

Follow Ups: