Re: I'm thinking of buying a Kalison. What do you think?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on April 06, 1999 at 10:16:18:

In Reply to: I'm thinking of buying a Kalison. What do you think? posted by Curious on April 05, 1999 at 17:19:49:

I am a Kalison player and thoroughly enjoy the horn. For the $$$, it is a good all around horn and has a nice sound. I use mine in quintets, a German band, a 90 piece symphonic band and a 50 member church orchestra. In the large symphonic band, it plays better in tune and projects better than the Yamahas and Miraphones that the other players have, and has the best overall sound for solo sections (by the way, I'm second chair, and because of the horn's sound, I usually perform solo and one only passages). The horn does not overpower in the smaller groups. Prior to the Kalison, I played a Mirafone 186-5U CC tuba, and while it had a nice sound, overall it doesn't compare to the Kalison. In the process of choosing a horn, I tried VMI, Yamaha, B&S, and Meinl horn. I felt that for the $$$, and for the type of playing that I do, the Kalison was the best. In terms of the horn being able to be "outgrown," I feel that this is an overstated issue. 5/4 and 6/4 horns are nice for big groups, but tend to overpower small groups (at least that's my experience). Kalison does make a 5/4 horn called the Pro 2000, and the two time that I have tried one it played well. If you really feel that in time you will need a larger horn to pursue a performance degree, remember that you may also need a F tuba for solos and small groups. If $$$ is a consideration, you may want to consider one good all around horn than need to invest in two average horns.

Follow Ups: