Re: Re: Re: Orchestral sounding BBb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 06, 1999 at 13:15:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Orchestral sounding BBb tuba posted by Leland Jordon on April 05, 1999 at 22:31:09:

Actually, I was told by Charlie Krause at Brasswind that the VMI 2103 is just like the PT-1 with a smaller bell like you said. But he said the VMI 3301 is the same as the PT-4, piston valve version. I really hope you're wrong about your facts because the PT-4 is the only horn I ever played that even came remotely close to feeling as good as my Rudy RM-10. When I first tried a PT-4, I fell in love almost instantly but then I had to wretch when I heard what Custom was asking for the tuba. When Charlie told me about the VMI 3301 my first question was "Will they make it in CC?" but he said no. As you can imagine, I was pretty disappointed when Custom stopped selling the PT-4 a few years back. With the VMI, I was hoping for a more cost effective version of the PT-4 to become available. But only in BBb is what I'm told. There is hope though, Charlie also told me that Custom only holds the marketing rights for certain PT instrument models and the PT-4 isn't one of them. As a result, Brasswind has 2 PT-4's right now and the cost is alot closer to reality. Maybe someone in the know can clear up whether the VMI 3301 is a PT-2 or a PT-4...

Follow Ups: