Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestral sounding BBb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on April 07, 1999 at 00:17:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Orchestral sounding BBb tuba posted by Jay Bertolet on April 06, 1999 at 13:15:56:

I hope I'm "in the know" -- I've played all four of these (PT-2, PT-4, 3301, and if I forgot to say, I own a 3302).

The PT-2 really is just like the 3301, BBb and all. The PT-4 is very,very similar to the PT-2/3301 -- actually, it's a bit closer to the 4p/1r 3302, counting the PT-4's 5th valve. They all play pretty similarly to each other, with the PT-4 having a slightly brighter overall sound. My tastes lean towards the darker sounds of the PT-2/3301 and the 3302, hence my decision to not buy a PT-4. But I'll agree -- it is an awesome horn. If I didn't prefer the 3302, I would almost certainly have gotten a PT-4.

Where I'm obviously not "in the know" is about whether or not VMI would market the PT-4 with VMI's own model # and logo. That question definitely is best left to someone with direct connections with VMI/B&S. I'd think that with Brasswind's current VMI prices, a VMI-labeled "PT-4" would be a sweet deal.

I'm not a big fan of exclusive marketing agreements, either. Quite a nice recipe for price gouging, IMO.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: