Re: Arnold Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Sanders on April 20, 1999 at 11:59:17:

In Reply to: Arnold Jacobs posted by Johnson W on April 19, 1999 at 22:32:45:

I must take exception to the posting of Johnson W, in which he refers to an article that appears in the Winter, 1999, TUBA Journal. In his posting, Johnson W questions the validity of a supposed comparison made between the contributions to society of Abraham Lincoln and those made by Arnold Jacobs. Upon reading the article I found the one and only reference to any comparison between these two men to be in their passing. The article reads:

"Now he belongs to the ages," were the words uttered by Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton when Abraham Lincoln died. They are no less appropriate to Arnold M. Jacobs, who died in his sleep Wednesday, October 7, 1998, at age 83.

These words seem very appropriate in the context of the circumstances, particularly to those of us who knew, studied with, and were influenced by Mr. Jacobs. There is no implication that Arnold Jacobs compares in any other way to Abraham Lincoln.

The article was written by John Taylor who has considerable professional experience as a journalist as well as a tuba performer. As the article continues Mr. Taylor recalls his personal experiences as a student of Mr. Jacobs, some of which are humorous, and in a very obvious way tells of his admiration and gratitude for Mr. Jacobs. Mr. Taylor does not credit Arnold Jacobs with anything other than what many musicians have already attributed to him. He does not engage in what Johnson W alludes to as "senseless hero worship", rather he gives us a timely heartfelt tribute upon the passing of a friend, teacher, mentor, and role model for many of us. This is not to say that Arnold Jacobs has not been the object of intense admiration, including hero worship. However, in the many years I knew and studied with him, while Arnold Jacobs helped many of us to raise ourselves to new musical and artistic heights, he remained the most down to earth and accessible human that anyone could want to know. I believe that John Taylor's article portrays that quality very well, and I can only imagine what prompted Mr. Johnson W to aim such an undeserved criticism at that article and apparantly at the worth of Mr. Jacobs legacy. I suggest he read the article once more, this time in its entirety.

Follow Ups: