Re: Re: Arnold Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on April 21, 1999 at 10:07:20:

In Reply to: Re: Arnold Jacobs posted by Michael Sanders on April 20, 1999 at 11:59:17:

Michael, thank you for actually getting the text of John Taylor's quote. It is obvious that John is not comparing Mr Jacobs to Lincoln.

For those who have not seen the Spring 1999 TUBA JOURNAL, Michael has written a great article about the December Jacobs Tribute. Last weekend I was with Gizella Jacobs and Gene Pokorny and read it to them. This was fine but I might add while Gene Pokorny, during all of this, has probably done more to honor his predecessor than any other member of a professional orchestra, did not put this together alone. The tribute was a joint effort between the Jacobs family, the Chicago Symphony and Northwestern University.

The words "Hero Worship" have been mentioned in some of these posts about Mr Jacobs. Now that it is 6 months since his passing, I have talked to many people on what to do. The best advice I have had comes from Harvey Phillips who says that all of us who had the fortune of being students of Mr Jacobs must carry on the tradition that he set for years passing it on to the next generation. There are those out there who have been doing clinics presenting the ideas of Mr Jacobs but never giving him credit - something Mr Jacobs was not pleased about.

Let's open this for discussion. Is giving proper credit to the person who formed these ideas hero worship or is it the proper thing to do? Just because a person passed away, are all of his ideas now fair game? Where does continuing the tradition stop and hero worship start?

Brian

Follow Ups: