Re: Bucking the trends

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Hite on April 22, 1999 at 12:41:34:

In Reply to: Bucking the trends posted by JRTapes on April 22, 1999 at 10:20:17:

First off, I believe you already answered one of your own questions. You concluded that you liked the sound and feel of the four valve horn. I would not look any further for another horn to fit the bill of an all-around horn. Having said that, I don't believe any one horn can cover 100% of my playing situations, but someone else may(and probably will) disagree. I personally own a Yamaha YFB-621S(F) and a Conn/Meinl Weston custom CC. These horns overlap in their ranges, obviously, but each has their own place depending on the music, size of group, and what the group leader's idea of timbre is. When I first started playing F tuba, my sound was also not the most desirable, but that is still changing as I continue to play more, and learn to switch quickly between F and CC. I hope my rambling will help you, but your ears should be the judge for what is right for you. I hold a Bachelor's in Music Ed and I am an Army tubist in Atlanta, GA, for what it's worth.

Follow Ups: