Bucking the trends

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRTapes on April 22, 1999 at 10:20:17:

I have only recently been delving into this site, as well as other materials. From my limited knowledge, I've come up with these conclusions, or trends: BBb tubas are for high schoolers, CC are for "serious" or orchestral players, F tubas are for "professionals", or soloists, and Eb tubas are for the British. Who are the people bucking these trends ? One advertisement says a guy in MN plays a BBb in orchestra. True ?

The real nature of my question lies here : I have played a Yamaha YBB-201, 3 valve tuba since high school, and many years have passed. (stop laughing !) Now, after these many years I've decided to venture out. I mostly play in community band or church band situations, and a BBb suits me well, plus I know the fingerings. I just bought a VMI-103.
Why ? The price was right, and I thought the sound was good, I liked the feel of the valves, and the fact that I now have 4 insted of 3. Please don't get into the price shouldn't matter debate, I've already read those posts. As I just said, I liked the SOUND, and the price was right, less than $1700 for a basically new horn.

I'd like some people to address this: I'd like to play some solo gigs, and some quintet gigs. So I'm looking for a horn which would be right for this. I went to the Brasswind and tried F horns, and I heard some guys there play some F horns, and sound well, but I didn't think my sound on a F was very good. I did try a small bore C tuba which I liked, and the person with me liked, but it only has 4 valves, not 5 or 6. Can a person legitamately do solo or quintet work on a small 4 valve C tuba ? Or would I be an outcast, someone who was not "serious" ? Someone else told me that small Yamahas don't carry well in larger situations. Is this true ? Would I need to restrict myself to settings of 200 or less ? Is an Eb compensating a better choice, like the one Sean has for sale ?

If you answer, I would appreciate it if you would tell me your level of education and experience, what you play and why ?

Please post here, or email to: tubaman4(AT)juno.com

Follow Ups: