Re: Re: Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on April 06, 2001 at 12:00:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Easter Gig posted by Third Party on April 06, 2001 at 10:59:05:

Thanks for the interesting reply. Happily, it's a free country, so you, and I, and the church paying $75K for a music minister can all do what they like. I think the difference is that, in some churches they are giving PERFOMANCES, while in other churches they are LEADING IN WORSHIP. The mega-churches, it seems to me, too often fall into the performance thing. If that were all it was for me, I'd stay in bed Sunday mornings.

I can tell you that MOST churches are neither paying $75K to music ministers NOR hiring pro musicians, because they are using their money in ministry and missions. Our church is considered fairly large (700 per week) and our total music budget for the year is nowhere near $75K. The good folks in our church would rather hear a heartfelt-but-out-of-tune solo croaked by a friend, whom they know means what he is singing, than to hear a skillful presentation by someone who is JUST doing a job, however well it is done.

I also hope I've not given the impression that I'm critical of anyone for their decision to take, or not to take, any gig that comes their way. If I ever slip into judging other people, I sure hope it's at least for something more meaningful than this!

Follow Ups: