Re: Breaks in practicing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 14, 2001 at 21:29:52:

In Reply to: Breaks in practicing? posted by Scott on April 14, 2001 at 19:00:09:

Scott,

Everyone gets fatigued while practicing eventually. The object is to extend your endurance so that you can PERFORM for several hours a day over several gigs. I wish I still had the endurance I had when I was a freshman in college, but as I play more and more, my endurance gradually increases. But it takes a long time to develop the kind of endurance to play for several hours out of the day. Here's a few tips that work for me...

When you start to feel fatigued, keep playing! But only for 5 or 10 more minutes. Then take a 15-20 minute break. As your endurance increases over the weeks and months, you'll realize at some point that you can play a lot longer than you used to be able. But it will be a gradual enough change that you won't really notice the results until it just hits you. By continuing to play for a short time after you feel fatigued, you are gradually training and strengthening your body, just like they always tell runners to finish strong. Of course, if you are practicing all high register stuff, you'll probably tire more quickly. Take breaks about every 45 minutes. Follow the link below to Adolph Herseth's tips.

Be aware of how much pressure you're REALLY using on the mouthpiece. Too much pressure is the surest way to tire yourself out very quickly. Use as little as possible to form a seal and produce a good sound. If you're getting the embouchure ring on your chops from just playing long tones or mid- to low-range stuff, that's probably more pressure than you want. Philip Farkas, the great former CSO Hornist, used to demonstrate by placing his Horn on a shelf, and then playing it without moving it. If you're having problems here, get thee to a professional.

Be healthy - eat right, sleep well, and exercise. It does wonders.

Play your mouthpiece when you can't practice. Do it a lot, even if it's only 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Those minutes add up to considerable time using your embouchure. Think of it this way: how soon would you have the coveted abdominal 6-pack if you only did 5 sit-ups? But what if you did those 5 sit-ups 20 times a day?

There are no shortcuts, but you can dig a swimming pool with a teaspoon if you have the patience and determination.

Steve

http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/herseth/herseth_notes.html
http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/tpin/Trumpet_Commentary3.html

(you can also link to these pages by clicking Herseth's picture on the musicians page of this website)

Follow Ups: