Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Easter Gig Stories?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on April 18, 2001 at 01:25:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Easter Gig Stories? posted by Joe S. on April 17, 2001 at 21:05:48:

Joe,
I fear that I have somehow been unclear so far, because I've never had any intention of criticizing you for taking your Easter job. Let me be VERY clear now:
>Performing services for cheap or for free should be a choice, not an expectation.
>It is in poor taste to ask someone to donate to a cause they do not personally believe in.
>No one should be criticized for asking payment for practicing their profession, whether they believe or not.
>No organization should be criticized for handling its money in accordance with the wishes of the donors (whether those wishes involve hiring an orchestra or not!)
>Any group of human beings that gets together and makes a mutually agreeable deal is okay in my book, so long as they don't hurt anybody else. My approval? An entirely different matter, though I'm not sure why anyone would need it.
>I have the priorities that I have, and other people have other priorities.
>There are some deals that other people would make that I would not make.
>There are some deals that I would make that OTHER people would not make.
>All of the skill positions require time to prepare, and (unless the person is donating some or all of their effort) the pay should take that into account.

As far as I can see, we disagree only on these, none of which should cause any animosity between us:
>I don't think tax dollars should subsidize entertainment, be it via PBS, NEA, or tax-exempt donations being used to entertain the donors. People I hold near and dear disagree with me on this. Oh well.
>I'm not sure what being a 'true Christian' has to do with any of this, but I believe there IS such a thing as a 'true Christian', just as there are 'true Muslims', 'true Democrats' or 'true professionals'. None of these others are easily defined, either, but while it is difficult to exactly define ANY of these, there are many people who fall well within those bounds. If anyone wants MY take on the definition of a Christian, E-Mail me and I'll be overjoyed to discuss it.
>The job of minister requires very long hours and very hard work, and half the members of the congregation consider themselves the minister's direct supervisor. Few get more than a day a week off of work, and they are on call 24 hours a day. This job requires at least one advanced degree, but pays an average (as of a couple years ago) of about $35,000 per year. Some are overpaid prima-donnas; most are not.

To answer your last question to the best of my ability:
Someone once asked Jesus a similar question about taxes (those taxes funded imperialistic wars and much other injustice). His answer: give to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, but give to God the things that are God's. In general, though, I suspect your guesses as to how my pastor votes when selecting representatives to spend the tax money would be pretty accurate. I suspect that he believes, as I do, that the government should perform the most basic functions (as outlined in the constitution), and leave everything else to the states and the people. As to abortion, well... My preacher and I share exactly the opinion you would expect. If someone wants to debate this, out of consideration for Sean let's go to E-Mail.

Whatever agreement or disagreement you and I have, I really do hope you understand I mean you no ill will, and fully support your right to participate in the open market (I certainly participate in it!) If some of the bidders for your services (rightly OR wrongly) call themselves churches, I will never fault you for accepting those offers of employment.

Peace,
Joe "Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood" Baker

Follow Ups: