In-laws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frustrated on April 19, 2001 at 00:35:28:

OK, let's get the ball rolling...

I want to hear from other married tubists out there who are trying to explain to their nonmusical in-laws how the music business works.

My dilemma: I have just been offered a good job (good job by musician standards), but of course it doesn't match the salary of my wife. Even though my wife has a job that is highly marketable (like a nurse or teacher or something like that), my in-laws think we're crazy for moving away from them and her job. Although I've explained how it works to them many times, they still can't seem to figure out that tuba jobs are far and few between and that when a good one ($30,000 - $40,000) is offered to you, you take it...it may never happen again!

Needless to say, there is much unrest in the family because of my good fortune. My wife is cool with it...it's her parents that are on the warpath.

I really need some philosophical ammo here folks. I think I've explained it every-which-way I know how to. If anyone out there has some advice, I'm listening. And trust me...all of you out there...if you marry a non musician, take notes now...you will be faced with defending your "calling" more than once. Be prepared!

Tubally yours,

Frustrated

Follow Ups: