Re: Work vs. Talent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gray Bach on April 25, 2001 at 22:30:59:

In Reply to: Work vs. Talent posted by Discouraged on April 25, 2001 at 22:13:00:

I have been there. I am a student at Tennessee Tech. When I was a freshman, I SUCKED with a capital S. Mr. Morris told me that I was the worst tuba player (as far as fundamentals) that he'd ever seen in 40 years. I took no offense because it was the truth. Now I am so far ahead of where I was then, it's not even funny. The talented people that always beat me no matter how hard I practiced (6 hours a day at first until Mr. Morris told me that being up there too much could actually be counterproductive) even though they drank beer all night are no longer playing. They cared so little that they just did not want to play. I have the smallest amount of talent that anyone on earth has, but I'm just telling you; Hang in there. You might not realize it now, but it will get better. Good luck.
Gray Bach

P.S. Wish me good luck in my new career as a mechanic working on BMW's for $17.50 an hour starting pay. The music department at Tennessee Tech is full of teachers that talk about their colleagues in the halls but tell me I have to get along with my peers to be professional. If they can't do it, why are they telling me to? They also call the administratio0n building and make the computer and maintainence people so pissed off so bad that they won't come over. E-mails to my e-mail address convincing me to stay in music would be appreciated. Thanks. I presented one side. Maybe someone with a clearerhead than I am that's on the other side (teacher, etc.) can give me the other side of the coin.

Follow Ups: