Re: Meinl Weston CC Rotaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wes McKain on April 02, 2003 at 00:39:49:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston CC Rotaries posted by SHS Tubamaster on April 01, 2003 at 20:57:10:

I actually just purchased a used MW32 from a guy in Atlanta (actually my teacher flew down there, played the tuba in the airport to make sure it was ok, bought it with a check we gave him, and flew back with it, but oh well). After learning how to play on nothing but a Yamaha YBB641, I thought this tuba was AWFUL. The intonation for me was horrible (I blew everything really sharp), and I couldn't get anything but a really airy unforceful sound. My teacher, however, kept on telling me how great the horn was, and would pick it up and sound amazing on it. It was so frustrating.

It's been about 6-8 months now, and I think I'm finally beginning to understand the instrument. Depending on the the tuba you came from, the MW32 can have a really long learning curve. Its not a tuba that you can pick up twice a week and sound pretty good on. It has very little resistance, and a very dark, german sound. I tried to use a PT-44 on it, and for me it made the sound very dark almost to the point of obscuring it. Now I play with a much smaller Bach-18 and it seems to work much better. As far as response, my instructor plays on a PT6 and he mentioned that the MW32 responds easier and more quickly than his instrument. The only negative aspect of the horn is that it seems stuffy sometimes. I'm not exactly sure how to explain this, but its like the sound isn't quite as "there" as it is on others tubas. Nothing you can't work around, and i'm sure some people would disagree, but thats my take on it. As far as I know, the MW32 is nearly identical to the MW25, so if you like that instrument you would probably like this one.

Follow Ups: