Re: Re: Re: Re: auditions and BAT's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim L on April 25, 2003 at 11:45:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: auditions and BAT's posted by Bill on April 25, 2003 at 07:37:51:

Ok... you're right... that was a generalization. One based off my college experiences. I'm not a professional, yet, but a college student.

I'm not going to retract my statement though.

Musicallity in almost every situation I have been in has been over looked or not emphazised nearly enough (except when I had the pleasure of playing under Dwight Oltman at Baldwin Wallace in Cleveland) in favor of concentration of technical parts, especially in ensembles.

I don't mean it to refer that statement to the many professionals in this area that are very musical in their playing, because lord knows I've heard it happen time and time again.

But I do have a few questions for you!!! Think back to your lessons earlier in life, grade school, highschool, even early college. What was the ratio of technical teaching as compared to musicallity? What was more emphasized? Listen to your old college recordings. How do they compare to professional recordings of the same piece?

Of course college recordings are not of professional musicians and will have a lot of problems (notes, entrances ect...), but one thing I have noticed through this is that my recordings of the ensembles I played in at Baldwin Wallace under Dwight Oltman (who did much of his conducting study in Europe) have a musicallity level that I would go as far as to say rival some professional recordings (this isn't relating to intonation either, Baldwin Wallace is an undergraduate conservatory only and those kind of things happen). When I listen to my recordings of college groups I have played in, none of them come even close to the level musically (although they do technically). I don't mean any disrespect to those conductors because they were all extremely good in my opinion. (Dwight Oltman in my opinion is an excellent conductor in comparison).

I hope I explained myself a little bit better. I had no intention of stepping on peoples toes who do not deserve to be put under that generalization in your mind.

Jim "who has an opinion" L.

Follow Ups: