Re: Re: Yamaha YFB-621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kelly O'Bryant on August 17, 1999 at 14:17:24:

In Reply to: Re: Yamaha YFB-621 posted by Bill on August 17, 1999 at 07:46:41:

Actually Bill, I do play the YFB-621 now. I did play the 822 F model for a while, but I just really love the 621 F for solos and chamber music. I play the 621 F 100% of the time, and for me, it works great. For my solo career, it is without a doubt the best horn for the job for my needs. And, the two quintets I play in in the D.C. area are all made up of Principal Chair players from the premiere military bands and/or the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and the "smallness" of the 621 has never been issue with these players. In fact, they all like it better than the 822 becuase of the better clarity and pitch. Granted, it isn't a horn for orchestral work, but then again, I don't think it was meant to be, either. The 822 is FAR better suited for large ensemble work.

Yes, I have had numerous modifications done to my 621. Once you get past the main wrap, all of the "guts" have been re-born by the Wunderkinder at Dillon Music. I jokingly call it a "Yama-Dillon". Why all the mods???? I wanted the "world's greatest" solo F tuba, but one that still had a "big bottom" on it. The 621 was the closest for me, so I found a really good one, and then had the Dillon crew perfect it to my tastes and style of playing.

Play what works best for you!!!!

Take care,

Kelly O.

kotuba(AT)erols.com
http://www.erols.com/kotuba

Follow Ups: