Re: Re: Tuba for my son...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on August 20, 1999 at 00:56:22:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba for my son... posted by Ryan Rank on August 19, 1999 at 22:46:56:

Hi Ryan,

I enjoyed your post, but I felt that there were some inaccuracies that needed to be addressed. First of all, there really isn't any split between the BBb and CC tuba as far as "band" or "orchestra" is concerned; in fact, a good percentage (I'd say a majority, but I don't know that for a fact)of the players in our service bands (probably the best known bands in the country) play on CC tubas. While it's true that BBb tubas have a bit more fundamental (fat, dark sound) than CC tubas, the difference is negligable in good players. And as far as tuning is concerned, I've really not noticed it being any more difficult to play in tune in a band with a CC or BBb tuba - tuning is in the ears, not in a horn.

Finally, and it's really a matter of perception than anything, I really took exception to your comments about orchestra vs. band. I think you may feel that way because you haven't yet been exposed to really great orchestral music, but there are TONS of great tuba parts in orchestral music, just as there are tons of great parts in the band repertoire. If you feel bored by orchestral parts, check out "Fountains of Rome" by Respighi, just about anything by Mahler or Berlioz, or Prokofiev's Symphony No. 5. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!! I wonder if Everett Gilmore realized he bought the wrong kind of horn........;) I don't mean to bust your chops, but realize that the things you say may live longer than your opinions do - try and be a little more diplomatic about different styles of playing. Cheers!

Daryl Bean
Howell, MI

Follow Ups: