euphoniumiana (questions about buying)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on August 14, 2000 at 14:46:38:

I'm looking to buy an euphonium. I've been doing a lot of research on the web and at music stores without many results. Given my billfold, I think I'll be looking at 4-valve, non-compensating types. My playing is strictly for pleasure--mostly pop standaards and modern classical--mostly solo.

I've tried the Besson, Yamaha and Cerveny models. I guess I liked the Besson best, but wasn't too thrilled, either. The King Legend has been recommended to me. I'm very frustrated that, even in New York City, I can't try out more brands without flying to Elkhart, so I'll probably end up buying on recommendations/faith.

A couple of questions: Is the bell-front type really only suitable for marching or brass band? (I like the look of it and it seems that it may be a more focused sound for solo/private playing.) What about valves on top vs. valves on front? (I've heard that front-action can be faster--VMI makes one, as does King) And what about the European ovals other than Cervany (Kuhnl and Hoyer or Styration? Are they any good? Where can I see them/try them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow Ups: