Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tonguing Fantastique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on August 16, 2000 at 10:47:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tonguing Fantastique posted by Rick Denney on August 15, 2000 at 22:09:31:

When I played the 2nd part this spring, it was because the regular tubist (Dan Wiese) was a longtime friend of mine, and first thought to call me when he learned his community orchestra was playing it. I had a whole month with the part (not counting noodling around every couple months with a photocopy of the 1st part), and on top of that, only got to play with the full group for about 2-1/2 rehearsals before the concert (the strings needed a lot more work than the brass, of course).

Still, everything went fine -- we were loud (appropriately so), in tune, and musical, and had a lot of fun. And, yeah, I think we both took the double Bb, myself on my 3302 BBb and Dan on his 5/4 Cerveny CC. No, not "authentic instrumentation", but what the heck, we weren't presenting a historical account of Berlioz, and besides, the crowd dug it! It's one of the more entertaining things I've gotten to play -- the thee minutes I played were worth sitting through the first three movements.

Don't get worked up if you don't get the call, Rick. If the player they get instead is better than you, feel good that they chose wisely; if he/she is worse, feel smug that you're the better player. :-)

Follow Ups: