Re: Re: Re: King-UMI Model 2341Four-Valve Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on August 24, 2000 at 21:17:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: King-UMI Model 2341Four-Valve Tubas posted by Frank Rosenau on August 24, 2000 at 18:49:55:

Yeah, the c and the d in the staff do tend a little flat, but I've trained myself on the c using a tuner and 1-2 or 3 take care of the D. Interestingly, 1-3 is well in tune on that c and on both F and f.

You mentioned before the first valve slide was a little short, I think one of the differences between the 1241 and the 2341 is that the first valve branch was realigned so there was more on top, hence a longer slide. I typically tune my horn with the first valve slide out about 1/4-1/2", but that's me and that particular horn. When I bought mine, I had the luxury of picking a horn out of a batch of six or eight (I can't remember). Two of them were clearly superior to the others, and while there were no real clunkers, there were noticeable variations in the way they played, especially intonation.

Wow, $600! I paid more ($900) for an Alex in 1963! I think my King new with both cases and a gig bag was about $3500.

Follow Ups: