Re: What if/Why...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 01, 2001 at 23:37:23:

In Reply to: What if/Why... posted by Steve Dedman on August 01, 2001 at 22:52:00:

I've not owned a B&S-6, but the main reason that I never comment on them is because when I've tried them for 5 or 10 minutes (admittedly a short amount of time) I just wanted to put it down and walk away...or if owned by some friend, just smile politely and say "That's really a fine instrument." I'm not particularly impressed with instruments that make me think: "Wow, I wonder if I could ever enjoy playing one of those."

As "stiff" as the 188 is (and certainly smaller than a B&S-6), I think of the two I would pick the 188 to "get by", as I DID manage to learn to play a 188, but would not look forward to doing that with a B&S-6.

big bell: I (admitting it) haven't played any of those new piston Miraphones with large bells, but a friend who plays well (*for money, and currently for his livelihood) told me that indeed the new "fat bell" piston Miraphones are somewhat rounder sounding, but they still have that characteristic "stiff" Miraphone feel. Is this the experience of others?

Follow Ups: