Re: Re: Silver/Laquer...some different questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on August 06, 2001 at 10:18:22:

In Reply to: Re: Silver/Laquer...some different questions posted by Chuck(G) on August 06, 2001 at 09:59:52:

The question isn't about the strength of welds during the construction process, but how repairs are made and what advantages lacquer or silverplate might have over the other.

I've been told that silverplated horns are easier to repair to a good finish, since silver really doesn't burn. And, if an area needs to be replated, the results are much more consistent than if it had to be relacquered.

I've also been told that, at the factory, lacquering a horn actually takes more preparatory work than silverplating. For a tuba to have a perfectly smooth color through lacquer, it needs its bare surface to be finished all the way to being completely blemish-free. Silverplate, on the other hand, covers minor discolorations, and "only" requires the surface to be smooth & clean of debris. All in all, a lacquered horn should cost more than a silverplated horn.

Other than that, every other difference is neglible. The only other thing I would think about is how each finish ages, but there are so many more variables involved that I really wouldn't bother too much.

Follow Ups: