Re: Re: Re: Silver/Laquer...some different questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on August 06, 2001 at 13:23:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Silver/Laquer...some different questions posted by Leland on August 06, 2001 at 10:18:22:

Well, you don't solder to lacquer, do you? So the strength question boils down to "Do you want to solder to the horn or to the plating?". I'm assuming that the technician is capable of cleaning the bare spot to be soldered and applying flux.

On the other hand, I've seen some pretty poor plating jobs that have a tendency to flake. I wouldn't care much to have the strength of a joint relying on some Monday-morning plating job. Whereas if I solder to bare brass, I know that if I've done my work right, the joint isn't likely to come apart under normal conditions.

Scorched lacquer can be removed and new lacquer reapplied. Because lacquer and the brass underneath change color with age, it's difficult to get a good match. But anything short of a full tank-plating (more expensive than a full strip, buff, relacquer and bake) to touch up a repair area is merely cosmetic, since you can't get the plated metal thick enough using ordinary spot plating techniques.

In short, each has its advantages and disadvantages. It pretty much boils down to what you like to look at.

Follow Ups: