Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 13, 2001 at 23:06:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Joe Baker - once more, with clarity on August 13, 2001 at 19:06:38:

I don't disagree with either of your two stated points and I'm trying to fathom why you think I do. I'm not bemoaning the lack of funding for programs that help prodigies, I'm complaining about the lack of vision some band directors have shown me (in this geographical area at least) in supporting such programs when they are available to the gifted student. Such a decision smacks of a self-centered desire on the part of said directors to trade the best interests of the student's potential for the director's own prestige (for a better sounding group) and enjoyment (at conducting said group). In this town, public education is for the masses. There is only, at present, one arts magnet school in each of the three main counties, an area that has (I think) over 6 million residents at last count. Funding is not the issue, it is the support of the county band directors to have the courage to send their best students to a school that might better serve their needs and talents. Don't get me wrong either, the particular school I teach at has one of the best academic ratings in the state of Florida. We actually have a problem with students auditioning to get into the school who never intend to be serious about music but really want to take advantage of the academic staff. We have very stringent standards that students must meet (gradewise) to remain in the school, both academically and artistically. These kids also get nearly the full range of school events as well, all except marching bands and sports teams of which the school has neither. Nobody is holding a gun to these kid's heads either, they are told right up front the requirements of the school. Some decide that type of school isn't for them and I'm fine with that. My main point is that the students should get the full story about what is available to them and the band directors should explain to the students what is in their best interests rather than what is in the ensemble's best interests. We, as teachers, owe it to society to do our part to help every student in our charge reach their full potential. My problems come when the student's best interests are not the first priority in the decision process.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: