Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 14, 2001 at 20:33:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Chuck(G) on August 14, 2001 at 01:39:12:

No one can avoid being silly from time to time. Yet I do not think I have been silly on this one.

Searching a bit among older postings showed me, that James McNeil has brought a question like this up a month or so ago. The same search revealed that James has expressed positive opinions on his band director. And on marching bands. And that he has taken part in a litterarily hot band camp.

He has raised funds to get a Miraphone 186 CC, which might be neither the ultimative tuba nor my personal choice. But which still is a quite respectable instrument.

James refers to himself as fat, but what I read out of his posts is predominantly something about a dedicated young person bringing some energy into his life with the tuba. And I have not read anything about James having problems with readings/fingerings in switching forth and back between CC and BBb.

When a teacher/band director meets such positive energy directed towards his main subject, band playing (in the case of James the sub-subject of tubaing), then he has to be very articulate and precise in his argumentation, if he wants to act as a stumblestone on the path of James’ plans cum dreams.

This board has had endless discussions about CC versus BBb instruments. I am a confessed BBb player, when it comes to contrabasses, but would I ever blame intonation or blending problems on section mates because, they might play CC’s? There might be problems, but they would not be founded in the pitches of the instruments, but in the (lack of) qualities in instruments and players, including me (my instruments are quite OK).

The US is a nation of wealth and talent. Still I might suspect that one would have to search in the very exclusive upper echelons of HS bands to find a band, which is so well equipped with tubas, that a Mira 186 CC would act as a detractor from the overall quality of the bass section’s tonal output.

I happen to have been in the school teaching business. I happen to have been a local representative for the teacher’s union. I happen to know about the main concerns of the average teacher. And I am not revealing anything, as I am still a union member. But I am extremely sure I have got my opinions in this matter right.

If I might have any regrets, then because I have not mastered the brevity, clarity, and bluntness presented by Tony Clements in another posting on this thread. And because I have not been able to produce the immediacy out of a present day school everyday that has been the hallmark of Katy Jablonski’s brilliant postings on this thread.

Chuck and I might seem to be very far apart on this one. Still I have to express my outmost gratefulness towards him, as he has provided me great help to compensate for my computing illiteracy.

I will make a more official on-board announcement later, but if you visit the site linked to below, you will find some of my arrangements, which you can download in .pdf format and use for free.

The newest one is the brass band version of the late 19th century US-made tuba solo "The Helicon Schottische". Presenting the full section of Eb and BBb tubas as soloists (and in full accordance with my standing on the CC/BBb matter, there is a BC part for the CC-tuba players sneaking in on the brass band turf).

The best one is my setting of the Vivaldi Largo for euph/tuba duo trough full tuba quartet with optional guitar continuo. A real "hjertebarn" (kid of my heart) for me.

There also is the first version of the brass 5-tet version of The Helicon Schottische. Please await the much improved revision coming up soon.

Klaus

Follow Ups: