Very Disturbed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anon for Now on August 18, 2001 at 11:59:49:

I have noticed a trend in certain threads lately. The current one can be found under the Louisville thread. A young person says(not a direct quote)"I wouldn't be taken seriously because of my current equipment". The last time I looked, your equipment doesn't get you a job, your overall playing does. I may raise the hackles of more than a few of you, but are we becoming too equipment concious? Are we letting our quest for "STUFF" get in the way of the really important aspect here. He who plays the best, he who plays the most music, he who imparts the most perfect blend of taste and personality, will get a gig. I certainly hope that the person involved will go and play. If you have a valid musical statement, play in time and in tune, and don't miss much, you will be looked at DESPITE your assumed equipment shortcomings. Please, go to the audition and LEARN. These are golden opportunities to take your knowledge to a higher plane. If you land a job THEN concern yourself about equipment. Until then, make the horn sing. You may be very, very suprised. As a side note, I bet there isn't one teacher of any repute out there who would dissuade a student from going to an audition just for equipments sake. Thanks for reading.

Follow Ups: