Re: Problem known.. now what?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *lucky* on August 18, 2001 at 20:54:34:

In Reply to: Problem known.. now what? posted by Graham W. on August 18, 2001 at 19:57:29:

Graham--

Sounds like you have lots of the common problems many of us tuba players face at some point... I can share what has worked for me, and hopefully some of it might help you out as well.
As far as air usage goes, improving that, in my opinion, will be most helpful to improve your playing initially. Improper air seems to be the root of all other problems. Breathing tools, as you mentioned, are a great help I have found. (You've probably read about them... I'm referring to those mentioned in 'Song and Wind' that are available from Brian Frederickson. You can read more about them at www.windsongpress.com) A breathing bag is helpful, as is the spirometer, but one of my favorite tools, and forgive me for not knowing if there is a technical name, is the little bottle with the ping pong ball in. This will help you get the feel of deeper, proper breaths, which will in turn help output. Now, about the output... I use a sound level meter, available from Radio Shack (it must be the analog version, about $40). This has really, really helped my sound, and has been worth the price many times over in that regard. The goal would be to get the needle on or above "zero" on the dial when playing, and keeping it there. This helps to get you used to the "feel" of a big, yet hopefully tactful, sound.
As far as your embouchre pressure and the need to relax, be sure your equipment (i.e. mouthpiece) is working with you and not against you. If you've never tried other mouthpieces, experiment and see if you notice a difference. If you do notice a change, a different mouthpiece might alleviate your problem, if not, that is one cause that can be eliminated. At any rate, your teacher, if you have one, would be the best consultant on this issue since he/she can tell you exactly what is up with your embouchre by watching and listening.
It sounds like you have the right attitude. However, you might take that one step further. One of the best auditions I ever took I went in with the attitude of "I am going to nail this, and I am going to get that spot!" I didn't get the spot I wanted unfortunately, but I came away from it knowing that it was the best I had ever played for a panel, and it only got better from there. Don't underestimate the power of confidence and believing you can do it. It truly does make a great difference. (Note: this does not mean to let your ego get out of control. Believe in yourself, but don't broadcast it.)
Finally, be sure to be patient with yourself! You may not have all of your problems 100% solved a month from now, but with persistence you will solve them all in time. Don't get frustrated if you are not noticing a difference by September, just keep working away! It will happen, I am speaking from experience.
I realize the mental tips are not technical help, but sometimes the right mindset in itself can fix more technical problems than you ever knew you had! I don't know if that is an issue for you, but just as a reminder, remind yourself you can do it!
Best of luck with your audition!

Follow Ups: