Willson 2975 euph?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 23, 2001 at 16:45:52:

I was stumbling around the other day and ran across some old discussion on this horn. My main questions are:
Does any one in tubaland own/play one on a regular basis?
Is it still being made?
Is it any good?

Reason I am asking: I have NEVER owned a euphonium. I usually do most of my doubling on trombone/bass trombone. However, I would like to possibly get a good euphonium for various work. I like the YEP-321 for jazz, but I want something with a little more heft to the sound, and I would like both the compensation feature on this horn and the front action valves. I am not in the immediate market for one, but I would like some info to begin my search.

This brings up another question. Why hasn't someone made a 4P+1R (independent rotor, front action pistons) on a Euphonium/Baritone? I know Mirafone and Cerveny make 5V front action instruments, but a piston horn might be successfull with us hard-core, hate upright valves type of guys. I know that the intonation is a little easier to manage on a euphonium than a tuba, but do they leave the fifth valve off because the euph. just doesn't play down there too often?

Anyhow, I would be interested to hear from any owner/players of this horn and an apprx. price for new/used if anyone knows.

Thanks,
Matt G

Follow Ups: