Re: German F theories

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on August 28, 2001 at 23:28:20:

In Reply to: German F theories posted by Matt G on August 28, 2001 at 13:07:57:

There are more F-tubas on the market now than at anytime before so picking an F-tuba can be a difficult task. I learned F on a typical German F (B&S standard bore)and then followed the wave in the US and bought a Yamaha 822S then sold it to buy a Meinl Weston 45SLP. Though both are very good instruments I finally sold the MW and returned to a very German style F-tuba (Mirafone 1816v GB). I felt that both the Yamaha and the MW were nice tubas though were a little too CC tubaish for my taste. I like the zip I get in the sound on a rotary valved German F. Though the Mirafone doesn´t have as good a low C#, C & B, I still actually prefer the low register on this tuba because with 6 valves you have so many more combinations to choose from which makes playing in tune in the low register much easier. The high register kills both the Yamaha and MW and most F-tubas that I have played. I play F-tuba mainly for the high stuff though I have no problems with the low notes in the solos or orchestral pieces that I use it on. The larger piston valved F-tubas can cover more ground but I truly prefer the overall sound I get on my VERY German F-tuba. This is a discussion that will never end. Good luck to all F-tuba shoppers!

Follow Ups: