German F theories

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 28, 2001 at 13:07:57:

Over the past few months, the "German F" has been scrutinized as far as both a characteristic sound and a wimpy low register. However, our counterparts in Germany and other parts of Europe use this "cursed beast" with great success. I personally think that these guys are so used to playing on these things that the low register is much more natural to them. Also, maybe they get first dibs on the good ones seeing as how they are within a few hours drive/train of playing these right at the factory. All I know is that these guys use 'em don't make excuses and perform in some of the best orchestras in the world with them on a regular basis. I have played some F's with a bad low register, bud 75-80% of them open up within a few minutes of tooting around on them and getting the feel of the notes. However, because we Americans play the Contrabass as a primary, we go back to our primal instinct and overblow these notes when not concetrating and sound like poo. I think most of it is us and not the horn, but what do the rest of you think?
Matt G

Follow Ups: