frozen slides

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Home Repairs on August 29, 2001 at 10:01:49:

Hello, again, all;

With your help I was able to unstick the valve on this Martin Eb sousaphone (I still need bits and a neck and a used case if any of you out there are cleaning out your closets) and
I would now like to ask for advice regarding unfreezing valves.

I read somewhere that the frozen slides are due to corrosion, and I also read about a method that has the sousaphone filled up with icy water while hot water is being poured over the outside of the slides. I tried this, but either a) the water was not icy enough or b) it wasn't left in long enough. Perhaps the slides are "too frozen" for this method. Don't worry - the water wasn't "too" hot.

I'm wondering if there are alternate methods, or if there is some sort of penetrating fluid I can try and let seep into the slides?

If I wait another couple of weeks I can take this horn to a repairperson to have the slides unfrozen, (all the repairpeople are busy with school instruments right now) but I'd rather take the horn in all unfroze and unstuck and already polished, so that the rest of my overhaul bill will be greatly diminished!

I'm not experienced enough to tell if the valves have to be replated - if it's not too obnoxious, I could always post pictures of them here and ask for your collective opinions.

The best case scenario would be to take the horn in and only have to get a neck made for it! Apparently, this repair fellow is well versed in the creation of same.

Looking forward to your comments, advice, and suggestions.

Follow Ups: