Re: Who was your mentor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jose V. Segovia on September 03, 2001 at 20:27:12:

In Reply to: Who was your mentor? posted by Steve Dedman on August 29, 2001 at 22:35:25:

I have had several people influence my concpets for tuba performance.
First Mr. Ellen Wood, Band director who had me play my first solo in the 6th grade and encouraged me to continue. Second, my first tuba teacher, Wade K. Wilson, who taught me the the tuba can be expressive. Third, Earl Hoffman, trombone and Tuba instructor my freshman year in college who taught not to limit myself in what a tuba can do (Jazz tuba and Jim Cullums Happy Jazz Band). Finally, Mike Sanders, who taught me the literature and to develop a resonant sound. I have created my own sound, which is a combination of all these former instructors. Dark and fundamental for classical literature. Light and crisp for those jazz charts. And always expressive, that is what music is all about.

I entered the world of band directing and have applied the same concepts. I have several students that I have taught that have joined the band directing ranks, I hope that these concepts have been passed on to another generation of students.

Thanks for Providing this Moment of Reflection

Jose V. Segovia
Brass Roots Brass Quintet
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: