Re: Hated my 20J, Blasphemy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GC on August 11, 2002 at 11:05:43:

In Reply to: Hated my 20J, Blasphemy? posted by Feldspar Slim on August 10, 2002 at 17:11:03:

As with any tuba, the quality of the horn is perceived through a filter of personal experiences and personal biases. There are plenty of 20J's out there that are in terrible condition, and there were new ones that simply did not play well from the beginning. I had the good fortune to playing 20J's that played well, and I was able to lip them into tune fairly easily. I remember them fondly, but even so, they're not my first choice in a horn.

Many people on this BBS talk about the wonderful quality and consistency of Miraphones, but the horns I played in high school and college in the '60's and '70's were horribly inconsistent in playing qualities, though they were all mechanically sound. The current Miraphones I have tried are much improved, and I don't hesitate in recommending them. I don't let my past experiences prejudice me too much. I simply warn people to play before buying.

Also, I couldn't stand my previous horn, a CC Cerveny 601, after a while. The guy I sold it to loves it and swear by it, not at it like I did. My current horn was judged as mediocre at best by several people, but (outside of an intonation quirk) I dearly love it. While I wouldn't trade it for a 20J (although I would for a fixed upright bell 4 front valve Conn 3XJ Grand Orchestral), I still treasure my experiences with a 20J.

Follow Ups: