Future for me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on August 14, 2002 at 16:32:57:

I'm about to graduate from college with a Music Education degree but am kind of worried about my future. I keep hearing things like:

- "Music teachers don't make a lot of money"
- "You know that when budget cuts come around at schools, art programs such as music are the first to go."
- "Music teacher jobs are competitive.
- "People look down on music teachers
- "People in the world think that music teachers are less important
than English, Math, Science, or history."
- "I am crazy for majoring in music"

I'm sure that some of you have heard those things. Having said this, I'm glad that I've done music education because it is something that I like. Besides I'm very talented. I've played and studied tuba, piano, guitar, and drums for a long time. I thought that music was more of a calling for me than studing business, something that I WAS going to major in for the reasons above.

However, those things are hanging over my head right now. Another thing is that, my girlfriend is from Korea and suppose I would like to go back with her. Music teacher jobs are hard to get in some foreign countries from what I hear. I'd have to have some kind of English degree if I was going to be sucessful in countries like that. Maybe some of you can give advice on that too. Thanks everyone.

Wish the best for me
Chris

Follow Ups: