What Music Speaks to Your Soul?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on August 20, 2002 at 00:16:15:

I have spent the evening mourning the passing of a dear firend who lost a very long battle with cancer. My thoughts turned to music, particularly what music speaks to my soul. I encourage you to share yours. Here are mine, in no particular order:

1. Second movement of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, especially the Fugal section. Intense and driven.

2. First movement of Shostakovich's 8th Symphony, never has music been this intense, agonizing, and utterly devoid of hope. A true declaration of bleakness.

3. Second movement of the Flor Peters Trombone Quartet. For those of you who have attended Brevard, you have an idea why.

4.The "Kyrie" movement of Bach's Mass in b Minor. Simply stunning. No wonder a muse once said that Bach was God's voice on earth.

5. Second Movement of the Arnold Quintet. Has there ever been anything written for brass instruments that is so perfect? I think not.

6. "Feirlich Langsam" from Hindemith's 5 Pieces for Strings. Quite possibly the most intense and beautiful 30 bars of music ever written.

7. Last Movement of Bruckner's 9th. A testimony of faith and all that is beautiful in music.

8. "Hindustan" as played by Firehouse 5+2. Makes me smile so hard I think my face will fall apart.

9. Second Movement of Brahm's 2nd. Peace, peace, peace....enough said.

10. Strauss' 4 Last Songs. Need I say more?

Thanks for reading. This was very cathartic.

Chuck

Follow Ups: