question for euphonium teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Euphman on August 10, 2003 at 22:44:36:

I have a very important question for you euphonium teachers out there. How important is mouthpiece placement to you. Back in October I went to take a lesson from a certain person, who remains nameless, and he was trying to tell me that my mouth is too high on the the mouthpiece. Now I know now that the standard is 2/3-1/3, but I have gotten accustomed to the other way around. As a matter of fact, my mouth might be further up on the mouthpiece than that. I have tried to change it but not only was it uncomfortable, but after 2 months I noticed no improvement and more importantly, i felt that my sound was terrible. Are there any college teachers out there who really don't bother with that and if there are could you please tell me where you teach at because I am also looking to transfer from where I am currently at and I would love to study with someone who cares more about what comes out of the horn and not all of the mechanics to do it. I fully understand why I might want to change, but like i said, I've tried it and it definitely did not work for me. Please, any info or feedback would be great.

Thank you
Euphman

Follow Ups: