Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba metallurgics, carbon sousas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodgigs on August 24, 2003 at 23:20:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba metallurgics, carbon sousas posted by Art H on August 24, 2003 at 22:26:34:

Dear Art,
The first tuba was very thick 3/16" before formming but the other twpo were 1/8" which seemed to make little difference. The plastics guy who vacu-formed the peices flro Me suggested tring clear PTEG plastic but I never got arrtound to it. Once I had built and showed the first one to those in the know I sort of gave up on perfect sound. one would have to match up the the elasticity to the strength to the hardness of the finished produst (not the preformed sheets) to the brass you were tring to simulate.
I do still have the improvedforms which were much better then the first one.

ow you make them is a trip! I put modeling clay in all the dents of the horn I ownned at the time and made plaster impressions of each side. this was only hard in places where the loops overlapped. There some sculptry was nessary. from these impressions I pored positive copys which I glued to a board and that is prepared to for vacu-forming by drilling a bunch of holes andcutting to match a plastic holding frame that
"Product A Manufacturing" provided. They did the rest. My horns were styrine.
Then the hard part. I had to make the front part(s) match the back. I'm not a tool maker!
anyway, I played the one in the picture for Chuck Dallenback (sp?) and He
told Me,"Brian, everything that's wrong with this tuba would be the same if it were brass"
A very generous statement.
That kind of recption from Him and others is what started Me on a almost decade long oddisy of wierd tubas. I still have wierd dreams of old tubas with too meany vlaves and stuff and impossable stuff line finding perfect pro horns in jounior high schools.
I also wake up sweating somtimes from dreams where I'm late to the gig !

I hope that explanes it enough I can't type or spell well enough to enjoy posting, although I'v had a lot of experences with music that I couldn't have gotten eny other way.
If Your ever in Santa Cruz Ca look Me up I'm in the phone book.
Brian "Goodgigs" Kane

Follow Ups: