Re: Re: Re: Re: Accuracy problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on August 28, 2003 at 00:21:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Accuracy problems posted by Doug Elliott on August 27, 2003 at 19:59:44:

My father and brother both play(ed) clarinet. I've spend a lot of time fooling around with clarinet (' still do from time to time) and completely understand the sensation of "crossing the break".

It occurs to me that brass players (particularly tuba players with our huge garbage-can nightmares that are supposed to be musical instruments) have at least eight or more "breaks" that we must cross all the time.

The only thing that makes crossing these "breaks" a bit easier for brass players is that we are usually only moving one or two fingers at time.

The trick to crossing the "break" on the clarinet is to do "nothing"...nothing particularly different, but to go from one pitch to the next SMOOTHLY and with ALL involved fingers (along with the air) moving absolutely simultaneously. Its a matter of TIMING rather than a matter of any real "trick". Of course, the tonality is different, but once a player masters the timing, they can then learn to finesse the tonality.

Gene Pokorny, well-known Chicagoland clarinetist, might wish to chime in here...

GENE???

;^)

Follow Ups: