Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: false tones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken on December 05, 1998 at 10:13:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: false tones posted by Steve Marcus on December 05, 1998 at 08:10:16:

Every three valve instrument I have played seems eaisier than four valved ones in getting out the false tones. I think part of it is mental. Also, and I could very well be wrong again, the existince of the false tones could have something to do with the lipping of the note down then the addition of more valves to lower the uncentered note. I played around with a tuner and my euphonium last night and got nearly every pitch to bend down at least a halfstep. This would sort of put the Bb horn in the key of A. Eb would be fingered second and this goes with the partial tone series mentioned previously. I wish I could crank up the fluid mechanics stuff to support this. All I can do is offer a layman explanation based on observation. There is more resistance when the pitch is blown down that much because the same amount of air and speed of air accomplishes less volume. If you had a cut down mouthpiece where you could see your chops, you would findthe bottom lip kicked back and the top lip slightly in front. Both would be buzzing and the waves would start in different places. (about a few mm's apart) Behond this, I can jsut say that the horn amplifies what ever happens in the mouthpiece. If your buzzing that pedal eb and there is anyway for the horn to sound the pitch, it will.

Follow Ups: