Re: What is essential daily?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on December 16, 1998 at 12:59:55:

In Reply to: What is essential daily? posted by Sean Chisham on December 16, 1998 at 10:38:34:

My gut instinct is that the answer to this varies from person to person according to their own level of development. At this point in my own playing.. I typically sound the same for the first note I play as the last so I don't see the need for a warm up per se. I use my warm up time to cover the absolute basics of playing... in hopes of getting better at them. I do slurring and articulation exercises. Play octave jumps for note accuracy and security. Then I will exercise the extremes: My favorite rochut is #2 so I play it in multiple octaves at various dynamics. In general I think I've got my sound concept pretty well formed at the moment but if I were having an off day I would spend time buzzing on my mouthpiece and working on my sound.
In reality I'm totally convinced that not playing for as long as a week would be all that detrimental to someone trying to *maintain* their current ability level. The real key isn't physical at all.. warming up is a mental process.. as long as I have a well formed concept of what I'm going to sound like before I play I know that I'll play just fine.
I'm curious what your take on this is Sean?
Just my two cents,
joseph

Follow Ups: