Re: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on December 12, 1999 at 05:10:39:

In Reply to: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 00:40:13:

I guess you're really talking CC vs. BBb? I say this because most people use Eb and/or F for soloing, high stuff (Berlioz and Mendelssohn) and smaller ensembles. Over the years, I've played them ALL, as probably most of the older people (like myself) on this forum have. Looking back, I'd really have to say that the CC was the best starting point. As you pointed out, it's in a perfectly neutral key. I always found that it was a LOT easier using a CC in a band, than using a BBb in an orchestra. I played many years in a 18 piece Bavarian oom-pah band on a Mirafone 188 5-valve CC. As long as I shoved a very large m.p. in it, I really could keep up with one of the big Kaiser BBb jobbers. If you have even the slightest interest in winning an orchestra job (and that might even be your local community orchestra), I think you're getting good advice about the CC's. It should also be more agile and responsive for brass quintets. Hope this helps (?).

Me? I want to get one of those Sheridan Besson 983 Eb's for soloing, quintets, JAZZ, and better ergonomics. I've done my Mahler cycle - not professionally, I'll admit. It sure was fun though.
Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: