Re: Orchestra opinions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Lloyd on December 04, 2000 at 18:05:09:

In Reply to: Orchestra opinions... posted by SirC on December 03, 2000 at 14:49:04:

When going over the scores of pieces I'm playing, 90% of the time I"m either playing along with the trombones or the or the string basses, with a large part of the time it being either one or the other. During quieter passages when playing with the string basses I try to stay in pitch with them, and blend my tone with them. I can usually feel myself lock in with the basses in these cases(most orchestras I've played with had the basses next to the low brass). In louder passages with the string basses the tuba will usually dominate and you are much more responsible for the character of the overall sound. This is a good opportunity show some personality in you timbre. When I'm playing along with the low brass I listen to mostly to the bass trombone and try to blend. I think a good low brass sound almost sounds like a tuba with a bass trombone inside of it.

I think intonation is a combination of having an ideal pitch in your head and listening. If everyone else has a good sense of intonation this works for me. When you have other players that have problems it's usually better to just hold your own with the right pitch.

Follow Ups: