Orchestra opinions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SirC on December 03, 2000 at 14:49:04:

OK,

so let's say you are playing tuba in an orchestra. Reasonably good section. But I would like to khow everyone's opinion on this....

Who do you as a tuba player tune to? Do people tune to you, up to the lead bone/lead trumpet?
(obviously, I know you tune to the oboe! that comment is to head off the smart-a** comments that people seem to make when you are asking something important) But what I am trying to decide is, if you play a note and you are in octaves or unison with someone else in the orchestra, and you notice it is not right in tune, how do you decide who should adjust, they or us? An easy answer is you go with who is right, but in the heat of concert, who is right? Or do you just adjust until you and the other player blend? The other idea would be for you to stay where you are like a rock that people can tune to...

When you are playing, do you try to be your own sound? Blend with the bass bone, horns, string basses, or bassoons? (I know that it probably depends on the piece, but for the sake of the season, let's say Christmas music...)

I have noticed that I can place my sound right with the Bass Bone and it sounds like we are one player, it doesn't always work, and it takes alot of work, but when it works it is great. On the other hand, I can remember hearing Matt Good in the DSO, and he had his own sound. I mean, he was a force in the orchestra, another voice like an oboe or a bone. I like that idea, and I love his sound, but when is it appropriate to be your own sound, and not blend with the bones, etc...

Just wondering...

SirC

Follow Ups: