Re: High School Programs in Michigan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 05, 2000 at 14:01:12:

In Reply to: High School Programs in Michigan posted by Rick Denney on December 05, 2000 at 13:22:53:

Jackson is right smack in the middle of the base of a triangle that has at its points Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Battle Creek. Jackson is 30 minutes from both Ann Arbor and Battle Creek. Jackson is a little less than an hour south of Lansing. All three of these areas have excellent band program schools, especially Ann Arbor (Pioneer High School) with its influx of children of University of Michigan students and employees. The commute between Jackson and Ann Arbor is especially easy because I-94 runs directly between the two towns. You also have excellent universities in close proximity (Lansing-Michigan State, Ann Arbor-University of Michigan) so most of the area high schools regularly get quality student teachers to assist their programs.

If you want specific school names of who is hot right now, just phone anybody at the MSBOA (Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association) and ask to see the results from last year's band and orchestra districts and states. In my experience, the good performing groups tend to stay that way because of a quality feeder system for the high school. The scores at district and state almost always reflect this because the adjudicators are usually really good (Revelli, Reynolds, et. al.).

By the way, Jackson is not such a small town. They might be surprised. Best of luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: