Re: Re: Re: Re: The miss prints of tuba concert by RVW.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 10, 2000 at 13:53:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: The miss prints of tuba concert by RVW. posted by Aubrey Foard on December 10, 2000 at 01:37:22:

The cadenzas in the Oxford version look pretty much like the ones in the manuscript rental score...except for the well-known omitted phrases in the early Oxford edition - which, incidentally, ARE in the manuscript version.

As far as the cadenzas go, I believe there is some "room" (rarely taken by performers) to take liberties. My whole set of comments is based on my belief and based on comparison, that the Oxford version is heavily OVER-edited.

As to the character of its performance, I believe it to be a "light" piece. It rarely seems to come off that way, as many performers seem to reflect the seriousness with which they have prepared their performances (good) in the overall "mood" that they communicate (not so good). If anything, the first movement should (although technically perfect) be light in nature (again, not "light" in dynamics, but "light-HEARTED" in overall MOOD). I would go as far as saying "toungue-in-cheek". The second movement is very romantic (obviously), but should not be schmaltzy. After all, it IS "English". Only minor liberties should be taken with the rhythmic figures. The third movement should be a rollicking dance and offered forth with more "gusto" that Annheiser Busch (no relation to George W.) ever knew existed.

Yes I've strayed from the subject of the inquiry, but if the entire focus is on this-or-that note and this-or-that articulation, perhaps the piece should be avoided by a potential performer (general comments, not meant to be directed towards anyone in particular). This is not Rachmaninoff, nor is it Mozart, nor Sibelius. The Vaughan Williams is meant to be FUN.

Follow Ups: