Re: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 11, 2000 at 12:41:51:

In Reply to: Re: effective ranges of BBb CC EEb F posted by Mike F. on December 08, 2000 at 18:08:28:

I've read the other answers, and this weekend I conducted an experiment. I've been having some fun with the TubaChristmas book, and I've played all four parts on some of the more interesting arrangements. So, while doing that, I played some excerpts to explore my range as of this moment. I'm an amateur with limited playing time and only memories of past years when I had stronger chops, so my conclusions are based on that "foundation."

I can play my euphonium comfortably and confidently (barring fried chops) up to about an A above the staff. This is, of course, not too impressive to euphonium players, heh, heh. The lowest note I can play with reasonable sound on my smaller, old American euph is about the F at the bottom of the staff. I think I'll be able to do much better on the low end when I replace the leadpipe and get a bigger mouthpiece (for now, I'm limited to a 6 1/2 AL--bigger mouthpieces play too flat on that horn).

On my small Yamaha F tuba, I'm comfortable to the high F (one step below that G). The Bydlo G# is always a hit-or-miss proposition, and the high Bb in Symphony Fantastique is a practice-room fantasy (so to speak). The A high spot of the first-movement cadenza in the Vaughan Williams is about a 50% shot. But I can play that instrument comfortably and predictably (albeit with a lot of fingers) down to a pedal D or C.

On the BBb York, I'm comfortable up to the F above the staff, but only when the tune gets there predictably and gradually with no big intervals. I play the tune that a friend who is a pro played at my wedding, which lyrically climbs to a high E (above the staff), and that is no problem. But the Vaughan Williams cadenza in the first movement (without the A) is an opportunity for humiliation. The low end of that horn extends to the pedal BBb only under the best circumstances, and without the few notes above it. The lowest note I can really count on is a low E natural, unless I play the horn's excellent false tones, which will take me down to the D.

This is somewhat of a confession compared to the superb range of many players on this list, but it tells you that the size of the horn has little control over the absolute high range, but a lot of effect on the security of notes at the upper end. And larger horns are not necessarily the easiest horns to make low notes on--my low range on the F tuba is more secure than on the BBb. But the BBb sounds better--much more full and rich on those notes with better resonance and blend. And the euphonium sounds more relaxed and lyrical on those high notes.

Rick "more about security and sound than range" Denney

Follow Ups: