Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I think I FINALLY understand.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 19, 2000 at 10:09:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: OK, I think I FINALLY understand. posted by Scott on December 19, 2000 at 09:17:02:

OK, enough fun. I don't think there are any truly distinguishing characteristics that can follow any set of rules. "Tubas", as individual instruments, vary FAR more than the variances between what some claim are "baritones" and what others say are "euphoniums". As to the "English baritones", yes, I know what THOSE are, but ONLY if the word "English" is in front of the word "baritone". At the risk of going round again, most all of the "double-belled euphoniums are the same as "bell-front (or bell-up) baritones", except for their added contraption, yet they are called "euphoniums". Just like the "English baritones", I know what "double-belled euphoniums" are ONLY because of the words "double-belled". I don't think that the terms "baritone horn" or "euphonium" can stand along as precise descriptions. By themselves they pretty much, by default and by the cross-use of these terms by different manufacturers (Conn, for example with an American bell-front smaller bore front-action "euphonium" ie: baritone) mean the same thing: a tuba-like conical 9' long Bb instrument.

Follow Ups: