Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I think I FINALLY understand.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 19, 2000 at 11:33:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I think I FINALLY understand. posted by Joe S. on December 19, 2000 at 10:09:44:

Something I said in another forum applies here: Words are used to describe things. The thing comes first, and a word is sought to name it. The flow of meaning goes from the thing to the word, not vice versa. The words don't define the horns; the horns defined the words.

Joe's approach is valid. What does the word "baritone" say about the instrument, absent any additional qualifiers? It says nothing more or less than the word "euphonium." Both are swept up in the equally general (but intentionally so) term "tenor tuba." That was the term Holst used in The Planets, even though by notating the part in the treble clef we know he wanted something like a euphonium from a brass band. That term also fits nicely with the German usage of "bass tuba" for Eb and F tubas, and "contrabass tuba" for CC and BBb instruments. The latter, plus sousaphones, can also be described together by the more general term "bass horn," which was a standard term in American band music for decades (based on my own experience and on the notation of band parts predating about 1970).

And with all respect to articles that have been published on the subject, if bore and instrument size alone was the distinction between baritones and euphoniums, then Leonard Falcone was a baritone soloist. In fact, he might have been known that way in many circles in his day, but not now.

I still think the only valid distinction stems from the famous quote "a euphonium is a baritone played well."

I was listening to the head of the National Weather Service this morning. He was telling us that we here in the East can expect a "normal" winter. By which he means colder than most of us would expect to be called "normal", because we will be comparing them to the last three winters, which have been warmer than "normal." It is difficult in the present of so much variation to have meaningful terms, unless we standardize the terms. But I'm no fan of that concept either, because then designers would work to standards instead of working to musical objectives.

Rick "who can't define euphonium, but knows one when he sees it" Denney

Follow Ups: